All known annual non-motorized events in the region are listed here by county. Many of these require registration fees – check with the information sources or trail groups listed.
This is not intended to be a complete up-to-date list, so only well-established events are included. Please contact us if you know of any other regular annual events – especially in areas outside of Houghton and Keweenaw Counties where our information is more limited.
- FNB of Wakefield Marathon is held in early fall.
- GRRRR (Go Ride ‘R Range Ride) is a round-trip road bike ride (not race) from Ironwood to Bessemer that takes place in late spring/early summer. The event raises funds for non-motorized trails through registration fees. Live music and refreshments are offered after the ride.
- Ride with Leinie, a fundraiser for Wilderness Lakes Trails (click for more information), is a two-day mountain biking event in late summer. One day is devoted to “fat tire” rides, and the other is devoted to regular mountain bike rides. Plenty of food and beverages are involved, including products of the namesake brewery.
- Superior Riders engage in a series of bicycle rides ranging from 8 to 15 miles taking place one evening per week throughout summer.
- Tour Da Lake takes place in summer and circles Lake Gogebic – the largest inland lake in Michigan – in Gogebic and Iron Counties. There are five social stops along the route. A registration fee is charged. A potluck barbecue takes place after the ride.
Houghton and Keweenaw Counties
- Barneløpet means “kid’s race” in Norwegian. This event is a ski race for children of all skills on the Maasto Hiihto trail system in Hancock. Parents are more than welcome to join their children on the trail.
- Bell’s Beer Copper Harbor Trails Festival (formerly “Fat Tire”) takes place Labor Day weekend. This multi-day mountain biking event includes downhill, XC, enduro and junior races and other activities that draws participants and spectators from throughout the region, state, and country.
- Big Boy’s Weekend A professional mountain bike-rider leads a 3 day event for men of all skills. Participation is capped.
- Canal Run is held in July and features half-marathon, 10-mile and 5-mile run/walk events starting at McLain State Park, running along the the portage canal and finishing in Hancock.
- Copper Country Color Tour, a fundraising event of the Copper Country Cycling Club, is a long-distance bicycle ride, with 50k, 100k, or 200k route options, during fall color season in the Keweenaw Peninsula. Food is offered at several checkpoints. The annual event has been held for several decades.
- Copper Harbor Ladies Weekend hosted by the Copper Harbor Trails Club is a mountain bike skill-building, riding, and social event for women of all skill levels.
- Copperman Triathlon is a triathlon (swim/bike/run) event in Copper Harbor in August. The event is offered by Aspirus Keweenaw (Hospital).
- Glide-N-Gorge is a social cross-country ski and snowshoe event held through the Swedetown Creek Gorge in the Maasto Hiihto trail system. Food is offered at various points. The event is arranged by Keweenaw Nordic Ski Club.
- Great Bear Chase is a pair of ski and snow bike races at the Swedetown Trails in late winter. The event is sponsored by UP Health System.
- Great Deer Chase is a pair of long-distance mountain bike races and a U.P. Single Speed Championship that takes place on the Swedetown Trails near Calumet. The event is sponsored by Aspirus Keweenaw (Hospital) and numerous other local businesses.
- Group Rides depart Keweenaw Adventure Company on Thursday evenings summer and fall.
- Keweenaw Bike 2 Work Week is a five-day period in May when bicycling to work is promoted; a single day is highlighted as Keweenaw Bike 2 Work Day, and during that day several checkpoints for cyclist support and information are scattered along the more popular bike routes of the Keweenaw.
- Michigan Tech MTB Rondezvous is a one-day pair of singletrack mountain bike races on the Michigan Tech Trails in Houghton in late summer.
- Retro Ski Fest Skiers join together at the Tomasi Trails in retro ski gear (wood skis, bamboo poles, and wool clothing) and modern gear to ski the trails together. Afterwards, they go out for drinks and food at a local restaurant of the group’s choice.
- Ride the Keweenaw, a multiple-day ride and social event hosted by the Keweenaw Trails Alliance and held at trail systems in Copper Harbor and Houghton/Hancock on Memorial weekend.
- Run the Keweenaw is a two-day, three-event trail running festival, including one run ascending the Mt. Baldy trail near Eagle Harbor, that takes place in early summer in northern Keweenaw County.
- Ed Hansen Memorial Run is a pair of runs in the Village of Ontonagon on Labor Day weekend.
- Miner’s Revenge includes mountain bike races around the Adventure Mine (a former underground copper mine) in Greenland in northeast Ontonagon County. Part of one of the races goes through the pitch-black mine tunnels!
Other Information Sources: